By accessing this site, you—“the user”—are agreeing to all of the terms listed below. For more information or permissions, please contact me: hello(at)shellyrawlings(dot)com
Copyright + Permissions
a. In most cases, content published on ShellyRawlings.com (also referred to hereafter as “this blog,” “this site,” or “the site”) is protected by applicable copyright laws and may not be republished, duplicated, or otherwise distributed in any form on any other site or in any print publication for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, without the prior written consent of the blog owner, Michelle Rawlings (also referred to hereafter as “site owner” or “I” or “me”). This policy applies to, but is not limited to: blog posts, guest posts, and other written content; downloadable and/or printable content like PDFs and spreadsheets, including those that are free to access or download (“freebies”); and other media including images, infographics, videos, and audio files.
b. Written content and other media appearing on ShellyRawlings.com may not be used to promote any other blog, website, influencer, or company in any circumstance without the prior written consent of the site owner. (For example, you may not use photos or infographics from ShellyRawlings.com in social media posts promoting your own site’s content.)
c. Interested in reposting or sharing my content? Here’s what you can do:
- For the purposes of review or commentary, you may re-post an excerpt of up to 300 words from any article on ShellyRawlings.com on your own website or blog with citation and with a link back to the original post. Excerpts must be in exact text and may not be altered or translated.
- You may link to articles, pages, and other content and media from ShellyRawlings.com on your own website or blog without any restrictions.
- You may link to and/or share links to articles and pages from ShellyRawlings.com on social media platforms without any restrictions.
- You may repost and/or share media including graphics from ShellyRawlings.com on social media platformswith citation and, if possible, a link back to the original post. (For example, you can save an infographic from ShellyRawlings.com and share it on your Instagram page, but you must credit and cite ShellyRawlings.com as the source.) You may not use photos or infographics from ShellyRawlings.com in social media posts promoting your own site’s content.
- You may print up to 45 copies of any article published on ShellyRawlings.com for personal, educational, review, or otherwise non-commercial purposes only, with citation. Content may not be changed, altered, or translated in any way and cannot appear in a publication alongside any other text. Any other print use of a post from this blog is strictly prohibited unless prior written consent has been granted by the site owner.
d. Exception: User Comments
- Each user who posts a comment on ShellyRawlings.com retains ownership of and liability for the content of their own comment(s) and, in general, may republish that content as they see fit. By submitting a comment on ShellyRawlings.com, the user certifies that their comment does not infringe on the copyright of any other creator and that they are sharing their own genuine, original views. Neither ShellyRawlings.com nor any representative of the site, including site owner and guest contributors, holds responsibility or liability for user-created content (e.g. comments), be it libelous, spam, or otherwise unlawful or offensive.
- ShellyRawlings.com is under no obligation to publish any comment submitted to this site, and even comments that are approved may ultimately be deleted without notice and with or without reason. Spam comments and comments found to be unlawful, offensive, or disrespectful will be promptly removed.
For special permissions, please contact me.
Limitation of Liability
a. ShellyRawlings.com and the content therein is provided to the user “as is” with no guarantees or warranties of any kind. Michelle Rawlings makes no assertions regarding the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of any materials or content published on this site. Michelle Rawlings makes no guarantee or assertion that ShellyRawlings.com or its content will meet the user’s needs, nor that the use of ShellyRawlings.com or its content will result in any particular outcome for the user. Michelle Rawlings makes no guarantee or assertion that the use of ShellyRawlings.com and/or the content therein will be uninterrupted or secure. Neither Michelle Rawlings nor any other contributor to ShellyRawlings.com holds any responsibility for losses or damages incurred due to inaccuracies, errors, or omissions on this site or the content therein, nor can Michelle Rawlings or any other contributor to ShellyRawlings.com be held liable for any damages arising out of the use or inability to use any materials on this site.
b. Content published on ShellyRawlings.com is meant to provide general knowledge and information and is not to be viewed as legal, medical, or financial advice or other professional guidance. Neither any guest contributor to ShellyRawlings.com nor the site owner (Michelle Rawlings) is posing as a licensed counselor, dietitian, lawyer, or other certified professional, and unless denoted otherwise, any advice given has grounds only in personal, anecdotal knowledge or experience and not in data or formal training. Please consult with a licensed attorney, financial adviser, or other certified professional for personalized advice.
c. Michelle Rawlings and other contributors to ShellyRawlings.com are not responsible for the content of sites linked to within posts and pages on ShellyRawlings.com. A link to an external site does not constitute an endorsement of that site or its content. Users may follow these links at their own risk.
d. Michelle Rawlings is not responsible for content that appears in advertising on ShellyRawlings.com. Advertising is provided via WordAds by Automattic. (See here for more information.)
e. Neither Michelle Rawlings nor any guest post contributor to ShellyRawlings.com holds responsibility or liability for user-created content (e.g. comments), be it libelous, spam, or otherwise unlawful or offensive. Comments posted on ShellyRawlings.com may be permanently deleted without notice and with or without reason. (See here for more information.)
f. ShellyRawlings.com and any individual contribution to it—including but not limited to blog posts, guest posts, media files, and user comments—is subject to deletion at any time without notice and for any or no reason.
a. Site owner (Michelle Rawlings) will never sell, trade, or otherwise distribute to others any personal, identifying information provided by users of this site (e.g. names, email addresses) for any reason. Aggregated, anonymized data pertaining to site viewership—such as the general number of page views or returning visitors per month—may be provided to trusted and potential partners and affiliates for the limited purpose of quantifying, analyzing, and improving user experience. (See sections “b” and “c” under this subheading for more information on how and what data is obtained and tracked.)
Jetpack may collect user data on ShellyRawlings.com for the following reasons and in the following ways:
- Data Used: The following information (made available from the visitor’s browser) is collected and sent to Automattic’s Demand Partners: IP address, geographical data (derived from the IP address), user agent, operating system, device type, unique user ID (randomly generated identifier), current URL, and IAB (Interactive Advertising Bureau) interest category. Log data (IP address, geographical data, user agent, operating system, device type) is stored for 30 days. The unique user ID is stored in cookies and is retained for 1 year.
- Activity Tracked: Ad impressions, video-related events (i.e. pause, mute, 100% plays, etc.) or errors, and ad click events. Various cookies are used for the following purposes: delivering targeted advertisements to specific visitors, storing user identifiers, and collecting anonymous ad platform stats.
- Comment Likes
- Data Used: In order to process a comment like, the following information is used: WordPress.com user ID/username (you must be logged in to use this feature), the local site-specific user ID (if the user is signed in to the site on which the like occurred), and a true/false data point that tells us if the user liked a specific comment. If you perform a like action from one of Automattic’s mobile apps, some additional information is used to track the activity: IP address, user agent, timestamp of event, blog ID, browser language, country code, and device info.
- Activity Tracked: Comment likes.
- Contact Form
- Data Used: Akismet is enabled on this site. As such, the contact form submission data — IP address, user agent, name, email address, website, and message — is submitted to the Akismet service (also owned by Automattic) for the sole purpose of spam checking. The actual submission data is stored in the database of the site on which it was submitted (ShellyRawlings.com) and is emailed directly to the owner of the form (Michelle Rawlings). This email will include the submitter’s IP address, timestamp, name, email address, website, and message.
- Data Synced: Post and post meta data associated with a user’s contact form submission. Since Akismet is enabled on this site, the IP address and user agent originally submitted with the comment are synced, as well, as they are stored in post meta.
- Gravatar Hovercards
- Data Used: This feature will send a hash of the user’s email address (if logged in to the site or WordPress.com — or if they submitted a comment on the site using their email address that is attached to an active Gravatar profile) to the Gravatar service (also owned by Automattic) in order to retrieve their profile image.
- Jetpack Comments
- Data Used: Commenter’s name (as provided), email address (as provided), and site URL (if provided via the comment form), timestamp, and IP address. Additionally, a jetpack.wordpress.com IFrame receives the following data: WordPress.com blog ID attached to the site, ID of the post on which the comment is being submitted, commenter’s local user ID (if available), commenter’s local username (if available), commenter’s site URL (if available), MD5 hash of the commenter’s email address (if available), and the comment content. Akismet (also owned by Automattic) is enabled on this site; thus the following information is sent to that service for the sole purpose of spam checking: commenter’s name (as provided), email address (as provided), site URL (if provided), IP address, and user agent. Users may post comments to ShellyRawlings.com under a pseudonym.
- Activity Tracked: The comment author’s name, email address, and site URL (if provided during the comment submission) are stored in cookies. Learn more about these cookies.
- Data Synced: All data and metadata (see above) associated with comments. This includes the status of the comment and, if Akismet is enabled on the site, whether or not it was classified as spam by Akismet.
- Disclaimer: By submitting a comment on ShellyRawlings.com, the user grants the blog owner the limited permission to publish and/or republish their name (as provided) and all or part of the comment throughout this site and in relevant promotional and/or commercial materials. The site owner is not required to publish any comment, and comments submitted to ShellyRawlings.com, even if they have already been published, are subject to permanent deletion at any time without notice and with or without reason. Spam comments and comments found to be unlawful, offensive, or disrespectful will be promptly removed.
- Data Used: In order to process a post like action, the following information is used: IP address, WordPress.com user ID, WordPress.com username, WordPress.com-connected site ID (on which the post was liked), post ID (of the post that was liked), user agent, timestamp of event, browser language, country code.
- Activity Tracked: Post likes.
- Mobile Theme
- Data Used: A visitor’s preference on viewing the mobile version of a site.
- Activity Tracked: A cookie (akm_mobile) is stored for 3.5 days to remember whether or not a visitor of the site wishes to view its mobile version. Learn more about this cookie.
- Data Used: IP address, WordPress.com user ID, WordPress.com username, WordPress.com-connected site ID and URL, Jetpack version, user agent, visiting URL, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, country code. Some visitor-related information or activity may be sent to the site owner (Michelle Rawlings) via this feature. This may include: email address, WordPress.com username, site URL, email address, comment content, follow actions, etc.
- Activity Tracked: Sending notifications (i.e. when we send a notification to a particular user), opening notifications (i.e. when a user opens a notification that they receive), performing an action from within the notification panel (e.g. liking a comment or marking a comment as spam), and clicking on any link from within the notification panel/interface.
- Pinterest Block
- Data Used: In order to check login activity and potentially block fraudulent attempts, the following information is used: attempting user’s IP address, attempting user’s email address/username (i.e. according to the value they were attempting to use during the login process), and all IP-related HTTP headers attached to the attempting user.
- Activity Tracked: Failed login attempts (these include IP address and user agent). Jetpack also sets a cookie (jpp_math_pass) for 1 day to remember if/when a user has successfully completed a math captcha to prove that they’re a real human. Learn more about this cookie.
- Data Synced: Failed login attempts, which contain the user’s IP address, attempted username or email address, and user agent information.
- Repeat Visitor Block
- Data Used: The Repeat Visitor block records page views by setting a cookie named `jp-visit-counter` in the visitor’s browser, which is incremented on each visit. This cookie is stored only in the browser and not recorded in Jetpack’s databases.
- Data Used: Any of the visitor-chosen search filters and query data in order to process a search request on the WordPress.com servers.
- Data Used: To initiate and process subscriptions, the following information is used: subscriber’s email address and the ID of the post or comment (depending on the specific subscription being processed). In the event of a new subscription being initiated, Jetpack also collects some basic server data, including all of the subscribing user’s HTTP request headers, the IP address from which the subscribing user is viewing the page, and the URI which was given in order to access the page (REQUEST_URI and DOCUMENT_URI). This server data used for the exclusive purpose of monitoring and preventing abuse and spam.
- Activity Tracked: Functionality cookies are set for a duration of 347 days to remember a visitor’s blog and post subscription choices if, in fact, they have an active subscription.
- Users may unsubscribe from email post notifications at any time by following the “unsubscribe” link located within each email from this site.
- Video Hosting
- Data Used: For video play tracking via WordPress.com Stats, the following information is used: viewer’s IP address, WordPress.com user ID (if logged in), WordPress.com username (if logged in), user agent, visiting URL, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, country code.
- Activity Tracked: Video plays.
- WordPress.com Stats
- Data Used: IP address, WordPress.com user ID (if logged in), WordPress.com username (if logged in), user agent, visiting URL, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, country code. Important: The site owner (Michelle Rawlings) does not have access to any of this information via this feature. The site owner can, for example, see that a specific post has 285 views, but the site owner cannot see which specific users/accounts viewed that post. Stats logs — containing visitor IP addresses and WordPress.com usernames (if available) — are retained by Automattic for 28 days and are used for the sole purpose of powering this feature.
Via Google Analytics, Google may collect user data on ShellyRawlings.com for the following reasons and in the following ways:
- Analytics and Data Reporting
- Activity Tracked: For the purposes of analysis, Google Analytics may collect and provide the site owner with data and information including, but not necessarily limited to: which and how many pages the user visits; how long the user stays on the site; where in the world the user visits the site from; how the user got to the site, including from social media or a search engine; whether the user was on a desktop, mobile device or tablet; what browser the user used to access the site; what language the user viewed the site in; and whether the user is a first-time visitor to the site or has visited the site before.
- While Google may collect this information, the site owner has no access to individual, personal user data (such IP addresses) via Google Analytics. All data shown to the site owner via Google Analytics is analyzed generally and with no focus on or regard for any one particular site user.
Don’t want Google Analytics to have access to your info? You can opt out here.
a. Posts appearing on ShellyRawlings.com may include affiliate links or mention products that I have received for free to review. If this is the case, this will be made clear at or near the beginning of the post that contains this content.
- Affiliate Links:
- An affiliate link is one that allows me to earn a commission if you click through at no additional cost to you. In other words, if you click on one of these links and decide to make a purchase, I (Michelle Rawlings) will get a percentage of the profits of that sale, usually amounting to a couple of cents. Thanks so much for supporting me and my blog!
- What affiliate programs does this blog participate in?
- This blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- This blog participates in a referral program with Day Designer Planners.
- This blog participates in an affiliate program with ClassTracker.
- This blog participates in an affiliate program with Target.
- Free Stuff:
- Sometimes a company sends me a product or book for free for the purposes of writing a review. Even though I’m not getting money for it, I’ll always disclose clearly when I receive something for free from a company or other entity.
- What partnerships does this blog participate in?
- As an HP Millennial Influencer Panel member from 2016 to 2018, I received products, promotional items and educational material to use and share as I saw fit. Any opinions expressed by me are honest and reflect my actual experience.
- This all is permitted under WordPress.com’s monetization policies that allow for affiliate links and other types of sponsored content so long as they do not make up the bulk of content or spam.
b. Unless denoted otherwise (as in the case of comments and guest posts), the content published on ShellyRawlings.com reflects the opinions of Michelle Rawlings, and only Michelle Rawlings, and does not reflect the views of WordPress.com, Automattic, affiliate partners, or any other entity associated with Michelle Rawlings, including employers and clients.
c. Michelle Rawlings will review products for ShellyRawlings.com based on personal experience. Commentary on these experiences in the form of articles, comments, or other media published on this blog reflects the honest opinions of Michelle Rawlings, and cannot be bought or changed by any advertiser or affiliate.
a. This blog is maintained from the Commonwealth of Virginia, in the United States of America; laws applying to residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and federal laws of the United States of America, will therefore be followed and enforced.
a. ShellyRawlings.com is powered and hosted by WordPress.com (Automattic), and thus, follows WordPress.com’s content and use guidelines. By staying on this site, the user is agreeing to all applicable WordPress.com and Automattic policies.
Note: This may involve restrictions on comments, guest posts, and other contributions. For more information about these and any other WordPress.com policies, click here.
This page was last updated June 7, 2021 to improve clarity and readability. Please contact me with questions.